Epic Games has made a significant announcement for Fortnite fans by releasing the Unreal Editor in public beta format on PC. This new editor app is a kit of game development tools that allows players to create assets, maps, and more. Here is everything you need to know about how to download the Unreal Editor for Fortnite and what it allows players to do.
Fortnite, a live-service battle royale game, is known for its constant updates that include new map layouts, weapons, and assets. While Creative mode lets players experience a sandbox to create maps and modes, it is still somewhat limited in what it allows fans to experiment with. However, with the introduction of the Unreal Editor app, players can now enjoy a lot more freedom.
As per an official blog post by Epic Games on March 22, 2023, Fortnite’s Unreal Editor is now available for free on PC in a public beta format. The Fortnite Creators Twitter account also shared a teaser trailer to show what’s possible with the app, alongside a direct download link. To download the app, follow these steps:
- Follow the link here which will take you to the Epic Games Store’s Unreal Editor for Fortnite page.
- Click the ‘Get’ button on the right side of the screen, as the download is free.
- You must sign in with an Epic Games account to download the app.
- You must also have access to Fortnite to use the app.
- Begin downloading the Unreal Editor for Fortnite!
The Unreal Editor for Fortnite is essentially a kit of game development tools, which means players can create assets, maps, and much more with the app. According to the Epic Games Store page description, players can use the app to do the following:
- Create custom content with Modeling and Material tools.
- Import meshes, textures, animations, and audio.
- Use Niagara to create VFX effects.
- Animate with Control Rig and Sequencer.
- Design gameplay with Verse.
- Build Landscapes to create the environment.
- Create larger experiences with World Partition.
- Use Fab (Alpha) to discover and import assets.
- Use Live Edit to collaborate in real time with others.
- Integrate collaboration with Unreal Revision Control.
Epic has released three demos, namely Deserted: Domination, Forest Guardian, and The Space Inside demos, in the Epic’s Picks Discover row in Fortnite. These demos offer an early glimpse of what’s possible with Unreal Editor for Fortnite. Fans can check them out right now.
While there will undoubtedly be a learning curve to effectively use the app, once the community gets the hang of it, fans will undoubtedly see some pretty impressive creations begin to pop up.
In conclusion, the Unreal Editor app for Fortnite is a significant step towards providing more creative freedom to players, allowing them to create their own maps, assets, and much more. Fans can download the app for free on PC and start exploring all the tools and features it has to offer.